tacos with pulled mushrooms
Those vegan tacos with pulled BBQ mushrooms will leave anyone satisfied. I have never had any non-vegan tacos, but those that did like pulled mushroom tacos more than any other! I call it a success!
We all crave some comfort food from time to time. For some, it might be a warm soup, for someone else a burger, fries or pasta. All of those can be easily made using plants. If you ever feel like having something full of flavor, with this "meaty" texture - try out this recipe!
In this recipe, it is very important to use a good quality BBQ sauce. It changes everything. I tried several ones and my favorite it the one made by far is organic one from Byodo (I think it is only available in Europe/Asia (you can find the link for Germany below).
Let's talk about mushrooms now, ok? They are the thing. I am totally obsessed with them. Every single type is different and they all are just amazing. In my local shop, they have all kinds of mushrooms and I keep discovering new ways of cooking with them - so I promise, there will be so many more recipes with them! Mushrooms add umami flavor, they have meat-like texture and almost anything can be made with them. Yum!
In this recipe, I am using king oyster mushrooms. They are the best for it and do your best to find them, but you could try to use oyster mushrooms. They are softer, but still should work well in this recipe too!
Feel free to look at the video above to see how to make the tacos and download the free PDF (below) with the full recipe so you can save it for later on your phone or laptop. If you are interested in other recipes from the video you can find the full recipes here:
tacos with pulled mushrooms
Makes: 12 tacos Time: 30 min
12 taco shells
560 g king oyster mushrooms
6 g (2 tsp) smoked paprika powder
9 g (3 tsp) paprika powder
6 g (2 tsp) onion powder
15 g (3 tsp) soy sauce
70 g (5 Tbsp) BBQ sauce
1 red onion
10 g fresh coriander
1 big paprika
170 g (1 cup) blacked beans (cooked)
1. Tear the king oyster mushrooms into stripes using your hands. You want them to look a bit rough and not perfect.
2. In an oven tray mix mushrooms with all the spices.
3. Set the oven for 200°C/392°F (conventional heating) and place mushrooms in the oven for about 20 minutes.
4. While the mushrooms are baking chop all the veggies very finely and mix. Strain beans and rinse them very well.
5. Take out the mushrooms. Place them on the pan with BBQ sauce and mix well. Cook them on medium heat until the sauce reduces.
6. Place tacos shells in the oven for few minutes to heat them up.
7. Place BBQ mushrooms and the veggie mix in taco shells and enjoy!
Notes and tips:
1. BBQ sauce – make sure you use a really good one. I tried this recipe countles of times and good BBQ sauce makes all the difference!
2. Mushrooms – I have to be honest, I recently started making double the amount of mushrooms. They are so good it is never enough!
3. Make sure that mushrooms and taco shells are warm while serving! 🙂
Thank you for taking the time to check out this recipe! If you try it – remember to post the picture on Instagram and tag us reshape_official. We would love to see and share it!